- Brown ground beef, onions and mushrooms over medium heat in a large skillet. Drain fat and season with salt, garlic powder and brown gravy mix. Stir well and remove from heat.
- Place diced potatoes in an appropriate size saucepan–2 quart size should be fine. Cover with water and add about 1-2 tsp salt.
- Boil potatoes until tender. Drain very well.
- Mash potatoes with sour cream, until potatoes are not lumpy. Add green onion and bacon–you can reserve a small amount for a garnish, if desired. Stir in cheese–you can reserve about 2 tbs of this for garnish if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place reserved ground beef mixture in a 9-inch deep dish pie pan.
- Top with mashed potatoes, covering meat entirely.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until potatoes begin to get brown around the edges and peaks.
- Remove from oven and garnish with reserved onion, bacon & cheese.