- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare the pie dough as directed and press the dough into a 9-inch pie tin, forming a fluted edge. Set aside in the refrigerator as you prepare the quiche. Set a 12-inch sauté pan over medium heat, and add the bacon.
- Cook the bacon, stirring often, until most of the fat has rendered and the meat is crispy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on a paper lined plate.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are wilted and lightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms, thyme and garlic to the pan and season with the salt and pepper.
- Cook the onions and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture has cooked out of the mushrooms and they are caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the onions and mushrooms to cool for 10 minutes before placing in the reserved pie tin with the rendered bacon. In a medium bowl, combine the heavy cream and eggs and whisk until frothy.
- Pour the cream mixture over the onion mixture, and sprinkle the cheese over top. Place the pie tin on a sheet pan and place in the oven. Bake until golden brown, and the custard has set, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Be sure to rotate the sheet pan after 15 to 20 minutes to ensure even browning.
- PIE CRUST
- In a 9-inch pie pan, combine all ingredients and mix with a fork. After mixing well, use your hand to form a ball in the pan and then press into pan. Bring it up on the sides and pinch the top.