- Mix masa harina and salt. Add water and combine into dough.
- Knead the dough for a couple minutes, until dough is smooth yet "springy", like Play-Doh. Add water or masa if dough is too dry or too wet. There's no exact science to this step.
- Allow dough to rest 30 minutes. If you're in a rush, you can skip this step.
- Pinch off dough and roll into ping pong ball sized balls. These will make 6in. tortillas, so make larger or smaller balls to your liking.
- If you are using a tortilla press, line both sides with plastic wrap, or cut a zip-top bag to cover each surface. Press dough until 1/8" thick, and gently peel away each layer of plastic from the tortilla.
- If you don't have a tortilla press, use a rolling pin and gently roll into 1/8" thick rounds. This is trickier than a tortilla press, but possible.
- On a medium-high griddle or skillet, cook tortillas 1-2 minutes on each side, until they're starting to toast and the edges begin to curl up.
- Stack tortillas and wrap in a clean kitchen towel, allowing the steam to soften tortillas.
- Serve immediately, or store in air tight container for up to 3 days.