- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12x18-inch baking pan with foil. In a large skillet over medium heat cook and stir sausage, bell pepper, onion and garlic until sausage is well-browned; drain. Add sage, cayenne (if desired), and salt and pepper to taste; mix well. Set aside to cool.
- Working quickly, place 1 sheet of phyllo on a 12x15-inch sheet of parchment paper. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush phyllo sheet with melted butter. Place second phyllo sheet on top; lightly brush with butter. Continue layering and brushing with butter for a total of 10 sheets to make 1 log.
- To make the strudel, spoon half the sausage mixture down one long side of phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border. Sprinkle half the cheese on top of sausage mixture. Fold short ends of phyllo over filling, then firmly roll long sides of phyllo to form a log. Repeat to make second strudel.
- Using parchment paper, carefully transfer logs, seam side down, onto baking sheet, leaving space between the logs. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove; let stand 10 minutes to cool before slicing.
View all nutritional information
Calories 344, Calories Fat 215, Total Fat 23g, Saturated Fat 11g, Cholesterol 58mg, Sodium 476mg, Carbohydrate 22g, Protein 10g
|Calories (fat) extra||63|
|Total Fat (extra)||36|
|Saturated Fat (extra)||56|
|Vitamin A (extra)||10|
|Vitamin C (extra)||12|