1 hour 20 minutes*
1 hour 40 minutes*
- Add sausage, onion, bell pepper and celery to Dutch oven; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Stir in okra, seafood seasoning, tomatoes, reserved chicken and 12 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until thickened and chicken is no longer pink (165°F).
- Remove chicken from Dutch oven. Cut up chicken; discard bones. Return chicken to Dutch oven. Simmer, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes more or until gumbo is heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Working in batches, add chicken to Dutch oven; cook until browned on both sides. Remove and set aside chicken, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions. Keep covered; set aside. Serve gumbo over rice.
- For the roux, add remaining oil to Dutch oven; reduce heat to medium-low. Gradually add flour; cook about 25 minutes or until roux is dark brown, stirring constantly. (Do not burn).
View all nutritional information
Calories 687, Calories Fat 283, Total Fat 31g, Saturated Fat 8g, Cholesterol 100mg, Sodium 1047mg, Carbohydrate 64g, Protein 33g
|Calories (fat) extra||41|
|Total Fat (extra)||49|
|Saturated Fat (extra)||44|
|Vitamin A (extra)||13|
|Vitamin C (extra)||44|