Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup
- Puree beans and tomatoes with half of the chicken broth in a large capacity blender, like a Vitamix. If you have a smaller capacity blender you may need to do it in two batches.
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft, translucent and fragrant.
- Add spices, stir and cook for a minute or two.
- Stir in black bean-tomato puree, pumpkin, the rest of the broth and sherry (if using). Simmer uncovered until blended and thickened, about 15-2- minutes. Add vinegar and serve.
- optional garnishes: grated cheese, crumbled quest fresco, diced fresh tomato, sliced green onions or chives, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, diced avocado and chopped cilantro
- To make the fun web design, here’s what to do. Use a thinned combination of low fat sour cream, yogurt, or as I did, a combination of yogurt and a little pumpkin puree thinned with water. It needs to be liquid enough to squeeze out and hold shape, but not too thin so it disappears in the soup. Use a funnel to pour the “cream” into a small squeeze bottle or plastic zip bag with a tiny corner snipped off. Start in the center and swirl circles outward. Next take a chopstick or something similar and pull streams out from the center to create a web. Practice on a small plate if you need to. This also works with many other sauces, especially dessert sauces for painting a pretty plate.