Kid Fun Recipes
Hearty Egg & Toast
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 Spartan Eggs
- 2 tsp Spartan olive oil
- Spartan salt and pepper
1. Cut out center of each bread slice, using a standard sized cookie cutter in any shape you would like – heart, star, circle, etc. Reserve cut-out.
2. Heat olive oil on medium in large nonstick skillet. Toast each side of bread slices and cut-outs over medium heat until golden, about 3 minutes, and flip.
3. Turn burner down to medium-low heat and crack an egg into the center of each bread slice. Cover and cook eggs over-easy, about 5 minutes.
4. Season eggs with salt and pepper to taste, serve immediately with mixed fruit.
Whole Grain Tortilla Pinwheels
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 can (15.5 oz) Spartan Pinto Beans
- 4 Spartan Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 1 pkg (8 oz) Spartan Shredded Cheese
- ½ cup Spartan Mild Salsa
1. Drain and mash beans.
2. Create an assembly line with tortillas, bean and salsa puree, and shredded cheese.
3. Get the kids involved with building their pinwheel. Spread beans over the tortilla leaving ½ -inch of the outside border uncovered. Sprinkle each tortilla with ½ cup of shredded cheese.
4. Microwave for 30-45 seconds or until cheese starts to melt.
5. Roll the tortilla from one end to the other. Slice into 1-inch pieces. Serve with salsa for dipping along with your child’s favorite fruit or vegetable.
Loaded Baked Sweet Potatoes
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 4 oz chopped toasted almonds
- 1 cup Spartan Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 12 oz package Spartan Steamin’ Easy veggies
- Low fat or fat free Spartan Sour Cream
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Wash, pat dry, and poke holes in sweet potatoes and lay them out on a foil-lined pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until soft in the center (check by testing with a fork).
3. Meanwhile set up your potato bar with cheese, toasted almonds, green onions, and sour cream.
4. Remove potatoes from oven when done and set aside to cool.
5. Microwave the Steamin’ Easy vegetables according to directions on package.
6. Flatten potatoes with the heel of your hand, slice lengthwise ½ way through, and push in on both ends of the potatoes to prepare for loading.
7. Put your potatoes and vegetables with the rest of your toppings on the potato bar and begin loading!
Veggie Face Plate
- Variety of vegetables
1. Slice into different shapes & arrange face on plate.
2. Serve with Avocado Dip, recipe below.
Avocado Dip Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup Nostimo plain fat-free yogurt 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp minced garlic 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 ripe peeled avocados, pitted and chunked 1/2 tsp salt
1. Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
2. Serve with your favorite vegetables.
Fruit Kabobs with Yogurt Dip
- Red - Strawberries or Raspberries
- Orange - Cantaloupe or Oranges
- Yellow - Pineapple
- Green - Kiwi or Honeydew Melon
- Blue - Blueberries
- Purple - Grapes
Yogurt Dip Ingredients:
- 6 oz Nostimo Greek Yogurt, Vanilla
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1. Cut fruit into bite-sized pieces. (Optional - for convenience, purchase a Fresh Selections mixed fruit bowl). Use any fruit you like – the fruit suggested above covers all colors of the rainbow.
2. Arrange fruit on wooden skewers to make your kabob. This is a fun project to involve the kids in.
3. Mix dip ingredients together until smooth and serve with kabobs.