Look for the Nutrition Guide Attributes When Building Your Healthy Plate!
Be sure to check for these tags on the shelves when shopping to build your healthy plate. Many vegetables share these healthy traits.
Eat More Veggies!
MAKE HALF YOUR PLATE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES!
- Vegetables Provide: Vitamins, Minerals with Little Addition to Your Overall Calories.
Fast Ways to Cook Vegetables
- Cook in the microwave
- Steam Vegetables in a bowl with a small amount of water, in the microwave.
- Wash, Cut and Pre-Package Vegetables Ahead of Time.
Choose Vegetables Rich in Color
- Dark-Green Vegetables:Dark Green Leafy Vegetables and Broccoli
- Red and Orange Vegetables:Tomatoes, Red Peppers, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Winter Squash, and Pumpkin
What Counts as a vegetable?
- All Fresh, Frozen, and Canned Vegetables Count!
- Frozen or Canned Vegetables are an Option!
Vegetable Soups Count:
- Tomato, Butternut Squash or Vegetable
- Look for Reduced or Low Sodium Soups
- Seasonal Vegetables Provide Optimal Nutrition and Flavor
- Choose Low Sodium Options
- Drain Canned Vegetables to Rid of Excess Sodium