Look for the Nutrition Guide Attributes When Building Your Healthy Plate!
Be sure to check for these tags on the shelves when shopping to build your healthy plate. Many lean protein rich foods share these healthy traits.
What Counts As Protein?
- Meat, Poultry, Seafood and Eggs
- Beans, Peas, Soy Products, Nuts and Seeds
- Vary Your Protein Choices
- Eat Plant Protein Foods More Often
- Choose Unsalted Nuts and Seeds
- Choose Seafood 2x's a Week
- Make Meat and Poultry Lean or Low Fat
- Grill, Broil, Bake, Roast or Bake
- Think Small! (4 oz. = Size of a Deck of Cards)
- Check the Sodium
How Much Is Needed?
- Most People, Ages 9 and Older:
- 5-7 ounces of Protein Foods Each Day!
- What Counts as an 1 Ounce Serving:
- 1 ounce Lean Meat, Poultry or Seafood
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Cup Cooked Beans or Peas
- ½ Ounce Nuts or Seeds
- 1 TBSP Peanut Butter