Beef and Pepper Stir-Fry
- 1 pound top sirloin
- 4 medium multi-colored bell peppers, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- Salt & ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced lengthwise (root to top)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp safflower oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Season the steaks pepper and minced garlic. Place the steaks between two sheets of plastic wrap. With a meat pounder, pound the steaks to a 1/4 inch thickness. Let the steaks sit for 10 minutes to absorb the flavor of the garlic. Then cut them across the grain in 1/2-inch wide strips.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet on high heat. Add the sliced onions and bell peppers, cook, stirring, until just barely tender, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan to a bowl and keep warm.
- Heat an additional Tbsp of oil in the skillet on high heat, until the oil is runny, but not smoking. Add the strips of beef let the beef brown initially, then stir to cook all sides. Cook 2-3 minutes. Add the peppers and onions, tomatoes, cilantro, soy sauce and sesame oil and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring. Remove from heat.