Smoky Cilantro Pesto Crostini with Tender Ridge Angus
- 2 beef shoulder center (ranch cut) steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)*
- 24 slices baguette bread, cut diagonally 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese (Or grated parmesan)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Smoky Cilantro Pesto:
- 3 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2 small chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Prepare Smoky Cilantro Pesto. Place cilantro, pine nuts, chipotle peppers, garlic, lime juice and black pepper in food processor container. Cover; process until finely chopped. Add cheese; pulse on and off until just combined. With motor running, slowly add oil through opening in cover, processing until smooth.
- Spread 1/4 cup pesto evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks in glass dish. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining pesto.
- Place baguette pieces in single layer on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake in 350°F oven about 6 minutes or until lightly toasted but not brown. Set aside.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 12 to 16 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Carve steaks into thin slices; season with salt.
- Spread 2 teaspoons remaining pesto on each toasted bread slice. Carve steaks into thin slices. Place beef slices evenly over bread slices. Top evenly with 1/4 cup cheese and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
*Could substitute your favorite steak cut
Recipe and photo courtesy of Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association