December 5, 1933 Marks the ratification of the 21st Amendment.
The 21st Amendment repealed the 18th Amendment, which prohibited the production and selling of alcohol in the United States. On 12-5-1933 it was legal to make, sell, and distribute alcohol. This week is the 85th anniversary of the repeal of prohibition. We have some great items to celebrate the 21st Amendment.
Bell’s Two Hearted ale was, and is, one of our bestselling IPAs that we offer at Family Fare. This item has taken a path that wasn’t foreseen by the Bells people and it has become its own big brand of beer. The idea was to make a beer that is simple to make and that tastes great. Enter Two Hearted. It is hopped with 100% Centennial hops from the Northwest and is generously added to the kettle and to the fermenter. Pine and grapefruit are in the nose. The malt base is large enough to handle this much bittering and the flavor is rounded out with Bell’s own house yeast. The ABV is 7% and has 55 IBUs. We are featuring Two Hearted in ad in Michigan stores this week, but it is available in all Family Fare stores at a great everyday price.
Another great selling beer is the new Michelob Pure Gold from Anheuser Busch. This beer appeals to beer drinkers that want a great tasting beer that supports an active and busy lifestyle. This beer is made with organic grains and is free of artificial flavors and colors. The beer has 85 calories and 2.5 carbs. It has an ABV of 4.1% and no IBUs reported. Available in all Family Fare stores.
Ballast Point’s new IPA named Fathom has fruit flavors that are derived from the hops. It is described as a west coast style which means it is very hop forward in the malt/hop balance. Zesty orange and piney hops are the flavors. ABV is 6% and IBUs are at 50. Available in Michigan stores.
One of the newest and very exciting items is a wine in a can. Wine in cans is hot right now. With new technology in the can, wine is now a viable beverage in a can. Dark Horse is one of our fastest growing wine brands. Dark Horse in the 750ml glass bottles is really moving off our shelves. It has become a very popular brand at Family Fare. Dark Horse has come out with two wine items in a 375ml can. The two flavors are Rose and Pinot Grigio which are very popular varietals and make a perfect choice in cans. More flavors of Dark Horse are on the way. The typical can size for wine is either 187ml or 250ml which basically is one to one and half servings of wine. The 375ml is a generous 6+z pour for both of you. A very convenient package for tailgating. Available in all Family Fare stores.
Staying with the wine category, let’s stay in the state of Michigan. One of our best-selling Michigan wine items is the Chateau Grand Traverse Select Sweet Harvest Riesling. This wine screams that it is from the state of Michigan. An amazing Riesling that most people love to sip and share with friends. A great wine for your holiday get together. If you get a chance to visit Old Mission Peninsula in Traverse City, be sure to take a tour and visit their beautiful tasting room. This wine is an outstanding representation of Michigan wine. Available in Michigan stores.
- Started in the Grocery business bagging at D&W in 1975. Worked at D&W for 30 years in various departments.
- Worked at SpartanNash for 11 years. Currently the Category Manager for Wine/Beer/Spirits for SpartanNash East.
- Have been a category manager since 1990 and a category manager of beer since 1997. CM of wine and spirits since 2007.
- Have travelled extensively which provided the opportunity to taste many foods and beverages from Hong Kong to Caribbean, from California to Maine.
- Love to cook, grill, and bake, snow ski, sail, and read books. Best baked item – a bourbon pecan pie with rum crust. Best grilled item – salmon with blueberry onion wine sauce and goat cheese. Best cooked item – Squash Apple soup with bourbon. Best ski slope – Go Devil at Keystone. Best book – Wonder.
- 1 wife, 3 children, 7.3 grandchildren.