All the flavor, none of the travel.
From the rich flavors from the Mediterranean to the bold heritage of Spain, and everywhere in between - European cuisine is a special treat. But you can get these flavors from the comfort of your own home - no passport required! Here are a few recipes that we love.
Spaghetti Ala Carbonara
Simple, easy, and down right delicious. One of the best pasta classics out there.
1/2 lb. Pancetta, chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine (We like Pinot Grigio)
1 lb. thin spaghetti, cooked al dente, with 1/2 cup pasta water reserved
4 large eggs, beaten and room temperature
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano cheese
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, cook pancetta in olive oil until crispy.
2. Pour off all of the oil except for 3 tbsp. Add garlic to the pan and season with black pepper, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the wine and stir, scraping up any brown bits of the pancetta (this process is called “deglazing”)
4. Add warm pasta cooking water to beaten eggs and whisk together.
5. Add crispy pancetta and the drained-pasta to the pan. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the egg mixture over the hot pasta, tossing rapidly to coat.
7. Add the cheese, toss with tongs, and re-season with salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper.
8. Mound immediately into serving bowls and garnish with parsley.
Garlic Tapas Shrimp
1 lb. (25 count) raw shell-on shrimp
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. sweet Spanish paprika
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
3 tbsp. dry sherry
2 1/2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley, 1 tbsp. minced
2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 fresh crusty baguette, sliced
1. In a heavy frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for about one minute or until they just begin to brown. Be careful not to burn the garlic!
2. Raise the heat to high and immediately add the shrimp, lemon juice, sherry and paprika.