If you’re in the pool, or on a porch, patio, picnic, or pontoon boat, you need beverages in a can. We have some very tasty options available for your events that occur in one of the five venues listed above.
One of the newest and very exciting can items is a wine in a can. Wine in cans is hot right now. With new technology in the can, wine is now a viable beverage in a can. Dark Horse is one of our fastest growing wine brands. Dark Horse in the 750ml glass bottles is really moving off our shelves. It has become a very popular brand at Family Fare.
Dark Horse has come out with two wine items in a 375ml can. The two flavors are Rose and Pinot Grigio which are great summer varietals and make a perfect choice in cans. The typical can size for wine is either 187ml or 250ml which basically is one to one and half servings of wine. The 375ml is a generous 6+z pour for both of you. A great item for the golf course as well.
The Rose is refreshingly dry and bright with a crisp Provencal finish. The French influence provides minerality and a hint of floral notes. This is an amazing French rose in a very versatile package. This would be great at your next BBQ. The Pinot Grigio is a classic domestic style with apples and hints of lemon. This wine has great minerality as well. Available in all Family Fare stores.
The next canned item is a new, but very popular beer from Founders, named Solid Gold. We have Solid Gold in our ad this week and it has become a fan favorite. I have not heard any negative comments on this great tasting lager that has all the flavor you are looking for and extra flavor that you expect from Founders. At only 4.4% ABV and a low 20 IBUs this beer provides what you are looking for at a backyard get together of family and friends. This beer goes with almost any food pairing, especially apps. In this week’s ad in Michigan and available at a great price everyday in all Family Fare stores.
Staying in the beer category, the next canned item to share is the Grapefruit IPA from Perrin. Perrin is another great growth brand at Family Fare. The Grapefruit IPA was the catalyst for our Family Fare beer growth and Perrin growth. This beer was one of the first grapefruit style beers - except that Perrin’s tasted amazing and set the standard for all future Grapefruit IPAs. One of the few alcohol beverage items that pairs very well with a salad. This beer also pairs great with anything spicy. Available in Michigan.
Our last recommendation for canned beverage items is in the hottest trend right now, hard water. Truly Spiked and Sparkling just came on the scene recently and I was skeptical. The skepticism ended when I showed the packaging to the associates in our office at work. To a person, they loved the shape of the can, the label that showed off what is important lately; low alcohol and low calories, and they loved the flavors available. We also have items available in a variety pack that has Wild Berry, Blueberry/Acai, Raspberry/Lime, and Pomegranate. Truly is also gluten free and has one gram of sugar. This has become very popular. Available in all Family Fare stores.
So, if you need something that cannot be or should not be in glass, Family Fare has what you need.
Greg VanOverloop, Beer & Wine Specialist
- Started in the Grocery business bagging at D&W in 1975. Worked at D&W for 30 years in various departments.
- Worked at SpartanNash for 11 years. Currently the Category Manager for Wine/Beer/Spirits for SpartanNash East.
- Have been a category manager since 1990 and a category manager of beer since 1997. CM of wine and spirits since 2007.
- Have travelled extensively which provided the opportunity to taste many foods and beverages from Hong Kong to Caribbean, from California to Maine.
- Love to cook, grill, and bake, snow ski, sail, and read books. Best baked item – a bourbon pecan pie with rum crust. Best grilled item – salmon with blueberry onion wine sauce and goat cheese. Best cooked item – Squash Apple soup with bourbon. Best ski slope – Go Devil at Keystone. Best book – Wonder.
- 1 wife, 3 children, 7.3 grandchildren.