We are very proud and excited to share our 2017 Corporate Responsibility Report. This year’s report highlights the ways Family Fare and our parent company, SpartanNash Company, are taking food places in more sustainable, socially conscious ways. As a part of our corporate responsibility journey, we’re committed to making our local communities better, stronger and more environmentally sustainable.
Through both stories and statistics, the report details our corporate responsibility efforts in 2017, focusing on five areas defined by our corporate responsibility dashboard – cultivating local relationships and product development, advancing diversity and inclusion, volunteering, minimizing waste and reducing energy consumption.
We hope that you are as inspired by the stories shared throughout the report as we are. Our corporate responsibility journey makes an impact far beyond the aisles of the local grocery store or U.S. military commissary – yet it is apparent in every aisle of your local Family Fare.
From our commitment to locally grown and locally made items and the farmers and entrepreneurs that supply these items to our continued investment in energy efficiency and renewable sources of electricity – SpartanNash Company’s corporate responsibility is a part of our daily efforts at Family Fare.
In fact, in 2017, we offered more than 2,300 local items in our stores companywide, supporting the communities where the goods are produced and sold. We also began highlighting our corporate responsibility commitments in our stores, with signs on our energy efficient freezer and dairy cases, recycling centers and more. In total, our energy efficiency efforts resulted in 1.4 million kilowatt hours saved – the equivalent of the energy usage of 130 homes each year, or 592 barrels of oil consumed.
In 2017, SpartanNash Company also:
- Contributed nearly $1.5 million in corporate giving in our local communities, in addition to $1.5 million through the SpartanNash Foundation.
- Volunteered more than 41,000 hours, making an economic impact of $990,126.
- Donated more than 5.4 million pounds of food to local food banks and pantries, providing 4.5 million meals to families.
- Recycled 44.9 million pounds of materials, including cardboard, paper, plastic and metal.
- Consumed 200,813 fewer gallons of diesel through our fleet of tractors and trailers, reducing fuel emissions by 3.8 million pounds of carbon dioxide.
- And more!
At SpartanNash Company, we are fueled by our passion to provide our customers, coworkers and communities with the best quality products, services and shopping experiences possible.
We are making a sustainable difference, each and every day.
You can read the full report and learn more about SpartanNash’s commitment to corporate responsibility at spartannash.com/CR-Report.