- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment or foil. Lightly spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together butter, brown sugar, cocoa powder and 1/4 cup of evaporated milk. Heat until mixture just comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Use a rubber spatula to stir in the powdered sugar until fully incorporated and mixture is smooth with no visible sugar lumps.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the fudge into an even layer in the prepared pan.
- In another medium saucepan over low heat, melt caramels and 2 tablespoons of evaporated milk, stirring often until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the salt, vanilla and pecans.
- Pour caramel mixture over the fudge layer and spread into an even layer.
- Bring about an inch of water to a simmer in a saucepan. Set a heatproof bowl onto the saucepan, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the heatproof bowl. Add chocolate chips to the bowl and stir occasionally.
- Carefully remove the bowl from the heat when there are just a few unmelted chips remaining. Stir until smooth.
Use an off-set spatula to spread the melted chocolate over the caramel. Chill until firm.
- NOTE: To cut this fudge with ease, you’ll want to dip a knife in hot water for a few seconds, carefully wipe it dry with a clean towel and then get to cutting!